07 June 2009

Let the leaders to their work. We the people have to do ours.

Global Village Square meeting at Hotel Everest, Beit Yalla, no man's land between Israel and Palestine.

For two days Palestinians, Israeli's and compassionate internationals meet up in the hills of Beit Yalla. During the first introduction round one of the Palestinians stresses that: I believe we are not Israeli's and Palestinians and Europeans and Americans, those national and cultural borders don't have a meaning for me. I believe we are human beings and I want to meet you all as another human being, not as my enemies. He is received with applause. It sets the tone for the rest of the Global Village Square.



On a political level nothing seems to be moving towards peace. Bibi Netanyahu, Barack Obama, big shots but unable to envision a way forward. There's simply no idea of tomorrow. Perhaps it's the grass root level that needs take steps towards change. Global Village Square brings people together to meet, talk, work for peace. The meeting gives people a chance to share ideas, find partners in the field, learn about each other's struggle and suffering, make friends.

Eyal and Rigdi talk about how they brought their families together. The children didn't need words to understand each other. In no time they were out playing in the village. Ido and Mohammed have a heated debate about ending the occupation. They conclude that "we don't have to agree, we can still work together". Noami shares her struggle to come here: "Until the moment I walk in there's a voice in my head that tells me to turn around. Committing myself to peace means that I give up peace of mind. I have to step out of my bubble and that is complex and confusing."



The two days end with a presentation of the ideas that arose: learning Arab and Hebrew, working online through mepeace.org, Global Village Square in Europe, Global Village Square for families, women for human rights, a Middle Eastern recipe book, a protest march for peace. All these ideas will have a follow up in the next meeting.

Peace still has a long way to go. It is a long and difficult process with many emotions involved. But the first steps have to be taken by courageous people on all sides to make it happen for everyone.

No comments: