29 May 2009

Am a poor lonesome cowboy, far away from home

More and more I come to believe that we are in the Wild Wild West. The red Indians have turned into Bedouins, the pioneers wore similar dresses to the Orthodox Jews here, and the overall motto is: everyone for himself, and God for everyone.

A: One last question: why are you wearing a gun? I mean, in Holland nobody wears one, so am just curious...

B: You ever forgot your phone somewhere? Yes. You wouldn't want to loose your gun somewhere would you? No. Imagine loosing your gun around your children. Don't want that to happen do you? So I have it with me 24/7. It's my duty to do that. My work requires that I have one. It's kinda dangerous around here you see.



"You see this vineyard? Few weeks ago some Bedouin youth took all the sticks out. Just for vandalism. Their parents told us to give them a good beating if we wanted to. We haven't done so. But next time I see them around I know what to do."

As we drop off the little kid at Kindergarten another father is kissing his girl goodbye. His gun behind the elastic of his underwear. He makes sweet noises to reassure her that she don't need to cry. All is safe."

In the bus next to me an 18 year old in green uniform. M16 on his lap, heavy on his legs. He is texting his girlfriend, falls asleep later until the bus stops, drops him off at the army base.

No comments: