23 April 2009

Visiting Ala's place

I join Robin and Joris to Ala’s house. We have a question for him and I’m curious to see how he lives. Ala is our translator and one of our bridges to the community. He studies at the Arab American University. He is one of those people whose bright eyes betray a busy inner life. It’s after sunset and as we walk the streetlights switch off. Power cut.



There are around 10 people in the room, all men. Brothers, cousins, Ala’s father an uncle, and a neighbor. We sit down and at once I feel tense about the situation. Where do I hide my female self? Some more men come in and shake hands with Robin, shake hands with Joris and then sit down. Not even a glance in my direction. How do I get out of here? Ala steals my flushed face and smiles. “It’s okay, just stay”. He shows Joris his essay, his books and tells about his professor. Robin makes jokes with the guys around. They bring him three cups of tea because he likes it so much. He tries to memorize the words that men whisper while praying the beads. Ala gives him the beads, from Mecca! When the father leaves Ala lifts up the artificial flowers and gets a pack of cigarettes from the vase. All men sit contently smoking, laughing, discussing how to pick up a girl. I keep myself busy reading the books, smile about the jokes and attempt to make myself invisible.

When we leave, finally leave everyone shakes hands. I nod to few guys but without reaction. Ala walks us to the road. All the time he seems conscious about not being too close to me. He shakes hands with Robin, with Joris, and we walk home.

No comments: