09 December 2008

little Selma



Once upon a time my friend Sadala asked me to help him out with a loan. We sent mails back and forth with business plans and loan conditions. I didn't have the faintest idea of what I was talking about. After designing a whole payback scheme I transferred all my savings to Mbeya, Tanzania.
It took few months before I heard anything. Business was a little tougher than expected and income didn't allow for paybacks yet. Sometimes later again I got news of Sadala's firstborn. She was called Selma after me, or little Selma. Pride got a new meaning the day I got the news. I wanted her to be the happiest, brightest, prettiest girl in the world.
Years of mails, phonecalls, SMS's have passed and I never got a chance to see the little girl, not even a picture. Life turned better and debts paid off. Sadala and I met for few days last August. Long distance friendship has never worked so well before. And today, blessing from the sky, Little Selma's photo...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So happy to read this. I did not see it earlier and it has been there for aa while. Little Selma is happy and your dream of her being the happiest child in the world is almost true.Life got better and debts paid off but not yet met little Selma what a wonderful name that can bring happiness and turn life from worse to better. You are always in our hearts.